36th Annual Wallowa Valley Festival of Arts
September 12th - 16th, 2018
Joseph Community Center & Josephy Center for Arts and Culture; Joseph, OR
Entry Through: https://www.callforentry.org
Deadline for Entry: July 22, 2018 - No late entries accepted
Entry Fee: $30.00 - Non Refundable
The Wallowa Valley Festival of Arts is dedicated to promoting the arts and supporting artists. We are the largest juried fine art exhibition in Eastern Oregon, located in the beautiful town of Joseph, Oregon - known for its breathtaking scenery, myriad outdoor recreation opportunities, world-renowned bronze foundries and exquisite Main Street art installations and galleries.
The festival features representational/traditional realism from the Pacific Northwest and beyond, as well as contemporary art. A central aim of the annual festival is to reflect the beauty, culture, and traditions of our region through its arts and artists.Consistent with that intent, any subject, style, or medium within the following categories willl be considered by our jury:
|Painting:||Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor|
|Sculpture||Any Three-Dimensional Work in Wood, Clay, Stone, Bronze, or other Metal|
||Pastel, Pencil, Graphite, Charcoal, Ink, or any combination thereof|
|Printmaking||Wood block, Engraving, Etching, Monoprint, Aquatint, Linotype, Lithography, Silkscreen, or
Digital Art Prints
|Photography:||Any Photograph that begins with the capture of the image through a lens, including Digitally
|Other:||Glass, Jewelry, Fiber Arts, Ceramics, or Mixed Media|
(Copies, kits, reproductions, or work done under the supervision of an instructor are not eligible)
- Exhibition space is limited, so jurors will select the most appropriate art for the venue and diverse audience
- Sept. 11-13: Optional En Plein Air Competition, hosted by the Josephy Center for Arts and Culture…for more information, refer to Section 10 (En Plein Air Competition), of this Prospectus
- Sept. 14-16: Fine Art Show, with an opening nightreception on Friday, September 14th (7-10pm), and closing on Sunday, September 16th (2pm)
- The festival is open to all artists, and ALL accepted work must be made available for sale
- Each piece of art entered must be the same one accepted in the jury process
- Work must be original and must not have been displayed in a previous Wallowa Valley Festival of Arts show
1) 2018 Deadlines & Other Important Dates:
- July 22th ( 11:59pm MDT / 10:59pm, PDT): Deadline for submitting entry forms and images to CaFE for the jury process (https://www.callforentry.org)
- July 29th - August 5th: Acceptance emails sent to artists. For more information, refer to Section 3 (Acceptance), of this Prospectus
- Tuesday, Sept. 11th (afternoon): Check in and kick-off to En Plein Air Competition, Josephy Center for Arts and Culture, 403 N. Main St., Joseph, OR. For more information, refer to Section 10 (En Plein Air Competition), of this Prospectus
- Wednesday (11am - 2pm): Check in of hand-delivered juried art to Joseph Community Center, 102 East 1st Street, Joseph, OR
- Thursday (3-8pm): En Plein Air Competition Quick Finish, Judging, and Reception; Josephy Center for Arts and Culture. For more information, refer to Section 10 (En Plein Air Competition), of this Prospectus
- Thursday (4-6pm): Joseph Gallery Walk (start/end at Josephy Center for Arts and Culture)
- Friday (12-4pm): En Plein Air Competition artwork on display, Josephy Center for Arts and Culture
- Friday (7-10pm): Fine Art Show Opening Reception, Joseph Community Center (this is a ticket event)
- Saturday (10am - 5pm) & Sunday (10am - 2pm): All Art Exhibits Open to the Public - featuring art demonstrations, workshop, and live music (see program guide for specific scheduled events), Joseph Community Center and Josephy Center for Arts and Culture
- Saturday (7-10pm…doors open at 6:30pm): Night of the Quick Draw, with Live Music; Joseph Community Center. For more information, refer to Section 11 (Night of the Quick Draw), of this Prospectus
- Sunday (1:30pm): Silent Auction bids close. Art buyers may pick up their purchases at 2pm. Unsold art must be picked up between 2:30-4pm, at the Joseph Community Center
- Sunday (2pm): En Plein Air Competition exhibit closes, Josephy Center for Arts and Culture
- Sunday (4pm): Closing Celebration Concert, Mozart in the Mountains, Josephy Center for Arts and Culture
2) Eligibility and Entry Process:
- Open to all artists
- A $30.00 non-refundable entry fee will be charged for up to 3 pieces of art
- Size Constraints: Pieces weighing more than 200 lbs., or two-dimensional work measuring more than 20 square-feet, will not be accepted
- All entries are submitted online via CaFE, "Call for Entry" https://www.callforentry.org
- Please upload1 image of each two-dimensional piece
- CaFE has a detailed description of how to upload images of your work and the necessary file requirements. You can also check out our website entry guide for help with image file preparation (for further assistance with this step, please contact Mary Edwards)
- Each artist must provide a brief biography (170 words or less), highlighting your career or past achievements, information regarding your process as an artist (if appropriate), or a simple artist statement communicating something you would like the viewer to know. This information will be reviewed by the festival committee, reprinted and posted adjacent to the artist's work, when the show is hung.
At the conclusion of the jury process, artists will be sent an email indicating the status of each piece submitted. Acceptance emails will be sent during the week of July 31st - Aug. 7th, 2017.
Example…Image Names: Palouse Waves – Invited ; Quail Covey – Not Invited
- Please check your email to ensure messages from WVFA and Café are received, and not intercepted by your SPAM folder.
- The email will contain detailed instructions for delivery and pick-up of artwork, options to enter the silent auction and/or Night of the Quick Draw, and directions for purchasing additional reception tickets. If you do not hear from the festival by July 6th, it is your responsibility to contact the Festival Director.
- WE DO NOT MAIL OUT ARTIST PACKETS. A packet will be provided to each artist during check in, on Wednesday, September 13th. Any artist who ships her/his work, or delivers it early, will have a packet held for them at the Festival desk. For more information, refer to Section 4 (Check-In and Artist Packet) and Sections 14-15 (regarding Delivery, Shipping, and Pick-up of artwork), of this Prospectus.
4) Check-In and Artist Packet:
For artists delivering their work on Wednesday, during the formal check in process, our trained festival volunteers will guide you, step-by-step, through the process. Your Artist Packet will include:
- Triplicate copies for each piece of artwork accepted into the show
- (One) artist ticket for entry to the Friday night opening gala celebration
- Name tag and lanyard (also serves as your admission to the Night of the Quick Draw)
- Event Program – listing time and details of other events occurring during the Festival
- Additional tickets to the Friday night Opening Reception (ONLY if you purchased them in advance)
Each art piece will be confirmed as the piece accepted and checked for appropriate framing requirements. A pre-printed identification tag (one of the triplicate copies in your packet) with the artist's name, title of the piece and price will be attached to the piece and a second copy given to the artist. You must keep this receipt copy, as it will be required, in order to pick up your unsold work at the conclusion of the show. If you plan to have someone else pick up your work, make sure they have this receipt. Unsold work will not be released without this receipt.
5) Framing and Presentation Requirements:
- All work that is intended to be "hung" for display MUST be fitted with a secure wire for hanging. We strongly suggest framing two-dimensional works for optimal presentation. If you're producing works on canvas or other surfaces and do not plan to use framing around the work, you must appropriately finish the sides of your piece. Work that is unfinished (such as exposed staples, untrimmed canvas, dirty sides, or lacking appropriate treatments) will not be displayed in the show. Bracket frames, Uni-frames, rings, zigger and sawtooth type mountings are not acceptable.
- When attaching wire to your piece, we suggest placing your attachment in the upper 1/3 of the piece. This will insure that the piece does not tilt outward at the top when hung.
- Glass and Plexiglas must be properly secured.
- Work that does not meet the standards of quality identified in this prospectus, or, upon arrival, is not consistent with the intent of the show, will not be displayed.
6) Sale of Art:
- All exhibited art will be available for sale and all sales of artwork will be handled through the Festival sales desk.
- The price you assign to your artwork in the online entry process is the price we will use. We CANNOT allow price changes once your piece has been accepted.
- The Festival will retain a 25% commission on all sales resulting from the exhibition. Please note that, due to the all-volunteer nature of our Wallowa Valley Festival of Arts, it may take up to 6 weeks for all payment checks (for both art sale proceeds, as well as award/prize payouts) to be generated and sent out. We will make every effort to get those checks out to artists sooner, but please anticipate this possible timeline. Thanks for your understanding and patience.
- Cash awards and ribbons, totaling more than $4,300, will be given at the discretion of the judge.
- Monetary prizes will be awarded for 1st Place ($125x7), 2nd Place ($75x7), Honorable Mention ($50x7), Best of Show ($500), People's Choice - overall ($300), Director's Choice ($200), Best Amateur Photography ($300), People's Choice Photography ($300), Best Three-Dimensional Art ($300), Northwest Cultural Heritage Award ($300), Northwest Region Landscape Award ($200), Jon M. Skovlin Memorial For Best Wildlife Representation ($200), Best Eclectic Piece ($200), and Best Silent Auction Piece ($50).
Art that receives an award will be photographed for use in promoting the Art Festival. Please see the Art Festival website for the full privacy statement and "opt-out" procedure.
Each year, a new judge is selected to assist in the judging of the show. Awards and ribbons are given at the discretion of the judge, excluding Best Photography, People's Choice Photography and Director's Choice.
This year, we are pleased to announce the distinguished artist and professor, Cory W. Peeke, of Eastern Oregon University and the Nightingale Gallery, as our 2018 judge. For more information on this Year's judge, visit our festival Main Menue and visit Cory's websites corypeeke.com and www.eou.edu/art.
9) Silent Auction:
- Accepted artists are invited to enter one small piece of artwork in our silent auction. An auction piece is not required as a condition to exhibit in the Festival
- Participating artists will receive 50% of the final bid; the remaining 50% will be retained by the festival to support future shows
- With respect to framing and display, all silent auction pieces must meet the same criteria as juried work(s)
- Artists will assign the market value of the piece and the minimum bid will be established at 25% of the established market value (for example: if the piece is valued at $100, then the starting bid for that piece would be $25)
- If the minimum bid is not met, then the piece is returned to the artist
- The original value of the piece will not be revealed on the bid sheet, nor will viewers be informed of the starting bid ratio
- We recommend auction pieces have an assigned value of no more than $200. If an artist does not assign a market value, the Festival Committee will estimate one
- All silent auction pieces will be prominently displayed and a cash award given for "Best Silent Auction Piece"
- Silent Auction entries need not be submitted for jurying as part of the online application. However, the silent auction piece preferably should be brought to check-in, or may be mailed in, along with juried art.
10) En Plein Air Competition:
Wallowa Valley Festival of Arts En Plein Air Competition
Hosted by Josephy Center for Arts and Culture
|Dates:||En Plein Air painting time: Tue - Thur, Sept.11th, 5pm - Sept.13th, 3pm
En Plein Air Show: Thur - Sun, Sept.13th, 6pm - Sept.16th, 2pm
|Awards:||Artists' Choice ($225), 1st Place ($150), 2nd Place ($100), Honorable Mention ($75)|
|Eligibility:||Open to artists who have been juried into the WVFA show. You must complete
a minimum of two and no more than four paintings on stamped, blank surfaces
to be able to participate in the WVFA En Plein Air Competition. Also, each participating
artist may hang one additional plein air/studio painting from another region as
examples of your work. The size limit on any painting to be displayed is 16"x20". All
paintings must be suitably framed, ready to hang, and for sale.
|Check In:||Check in and registration begins Tues, Sept. 11th, at 5 to 6pm, or Wed, Sept. 12th at 9am at the Josephy Center for Arts
and Culture At this time you will fill out your entry form and get your blank painting surfaces stamped.
* Please note: Check in for your WVFA-juried artwork is Wed, Sept. 12th, 11am - 2pm, at Joseph Community Center.
|Quick Finish/Art Walk:||Thur, Sept. 13th, at 3pm, is the En Plein Air "Quick Finish" and Joseph Galleries Art Walk.
You will bring your Plein Air paintings to the Josephy Center for Arts and Culture.
Tables will be provided for you to finish any last-minute touches to your
paintings and to install them in frames. You will then hang your paintings and
label them by 5:30pm for judging, which takes place from 5:30-6pm. The "Quick
Finish" will be open to the public, as this will be the kickoff for the Joseph
Galleries Art Walk.
|Opening Reception:||Thur, Sept. 13th, from 6-8pm, is the Opening Reception for the En Plein Air Competition.
Awards will be announced during the reception. There will also be a drawing for
the Joseph Galleries Art Walk door prize at 6:30 p.m.
|Show Ends:||The show ends Sun, Sept. 16th, at 2pm. Artist may pick up unsold works. A 25%
commission on any sold work will be retained by WVFA.
|Other Info:||We reserve the right to reject any artwork not deemed to be suitable for the
plein air show.
|Contact:||For information or questions, contact Leslie LeViner (541-426-5883).|
11) Night of the Quick Draw:
A special evening unfolds Saturday (Sept 15th) at the Joseph Community Center, (same venue as the fine arts exhibition), when selected artists participate in the Quick Draw Event. The atmosphere is thrilling and fast-paced, as artists work feverishly to create a finished work in 1 ½ hours' time. The finished pieces are sold by silent auction during the course of the evening. The evening will include a no-host wine and beer bar, hors d'oeuvres and live music. If your work is accepted and you have indicatedan interest in participating, the Quick Draw Coordinator will contact you with specific information for the evening. Space is limited to a maximum of 15 artists accepted. The Festival will retain a 25% commission on art work created and sold during the Quick Draw event….Please Note: ONLY ACCEPTED ARTISTS WILL RECEIVE ONE COMPLIMENTARY TICKET TO THIS EVENT. ALL OTHER GUESTS WILL BE ABLE TO PURCHASE TICKETS, AT THE DOOR, FOR A NOMINAL FEE
12) Artists Reception:
An "Opening Night Reception" to honor participating artists will be held Friday, 7-10pm, at the Joseph Community Center. Major award winning artists will be announced and this year's judge will be introduced. Hors d'oeuvres, wine and other beverages will be served, and each attendee will receive a beautiful hand-painted wine glass. Artists can find their Reception Tickets in their respective artist packets. Additional tickets can be purchased online on this website (see tickets). This event often sells out in advance, so artists desiring additional tickets are encouraged to plan accordingly.
13) Saturday Workshop: not scheduled for this weekend
14) Physical Delivery or Shipping of Artwork:
- Preferred Delivery: Directly to the show; Joseph Community Center, 102 East 1st Street, Joseph, OR 97846, on Wednesday, Sept 12th, from 11am - 2pm.
- If you plan to ship your work, or arrange for early delivery, PLEASE READ the following Prospectus bullets carefully, for complete details…including all shipping addresses.
- If Wednesday, Sept. 12th In-Person Delivery is Not Possible: Optional early delivery/drop-off to the Josephy Center for Arts and Culture, 403 North Main Street, Joseph, OR 97846 (Sept. 4th - 11th, 12pm - 4pm) Pleast note that the Josephy Center is closed on Sunday, Sept 9th)
- Sept. 4-11th: All shipped artwork due. See detailed shipping instructions, below.
- At time of delivery, accepted artwork must be identified by the artist name, title of the artwork and sale price.
- If you are using a shipping service that requires a physical address (such as UPS or FedEx) please ship to: WVFA 2017, c/o Valley Bronze Gallery, 18 South Main St., Joseph, OR 97846.
- If you are using the US Postal Service please ship to: WVFA, PO Box 526, Joseph, OR 97846. Important: The US Postal Service will only accept packages that are addressed to the Festival's PO Box 526. Do not use a street address, if you are shipping via US Postal Service.
- If you are using a shipping service that requires a physical address (such as UPS or FedEX) please ship to: WVFA 2018, c/o Josephy Center for Arts and Culture, 403 North Main St, Joseph, OR 97846
- Art-Pooling" for delivery and pickup is acceptable and encouraged. Please note that any individual picking up unsold art, on behalf of another artist, at the Festival's conclusion, MUST have the artwork receipt, in order to claim that artist's unsold art.
15) Art Pick-Up and Return Shipping:
- Art Pick Up - Please ensure that the receipts included in your artist packet for accepted artwork are safeguarded; they are required to pick up any unsold artwork. If someone else is picking up your unsold work, make sure they have the appropriate receipts.
- All shipped artwork must be either picked up on Sunday, (Sept 16th) between 2:30-4pm, or shipped in reusable containers with PRE-PAID return shipping. Shipping options include UPS, or FedEx, all with insurance and shipping pre-paid. Please note that buyers cannot pick up purchased artwork until 2pm, on Sunday. If you're unsure whether a piece has sold, check the title card displayed with the art. Sold pieces will be indicated by a round/dot sticker on the title card. If you see a round/dot sticker, PLEASE do not remove the artwork. A festival volunteer will facilitate making sure that the correct person receives the sold piece.
- Liability - All reasonable care will be given to objects in the custody of the Wallowa Valley Festival of Arts; however, it is the artist's responsibility to provide adequate insurance for their artwork.
For general Festival of Arts information please visit www.wallowavalleyarts.org.
If you still have questions, please contact the Festival Director, below:
We look forward to another fun-filled, successful event, and seeing your beautiful work on display in September at our 36th Annual Wallowa Valley Festival of Arts.